Border punches

Saturday, March 3, 2012

What can I say...I love them. It wasn't long ago that I didn't own a single one. Then over the last couple of years, I have accumulated several....11 to be exact. Not many to some...a lot to others. I'm pretty happy with the ones I have. Some good variety, I think. I definitely have my favorites. My all time favorite is the Fiskars Threading Water border punch. It was my very first border punch purchase and I have never regretted it. But it did start my frenzy to buy more...
but without them, I wouldn't have been able to create this fabulous card!
There are 7 different border punches used in all. Manufacturers represented are Fiskars, EK Success and Martha Stewart. Inspiration for the bordered background came from a 12x12 layout I remember seeing in an issue of Creating Keepsakes a year or so ago. I thought a smaller scale would be a good place to try this out. I would give credit to the designer but I have no idea which issue it's even in. Sorry. It just stuck in my head.
Over at The Paper Variety the newest challenge is a tic-tac-toe. I chose the middle row---spring themed (to me anything with flowers is spring themed, unless it's a poinsettia), use 2 border punches (I translated this to use at least 2) and create a card. I needed to make a card for my MIL's birthday, so here we go. I decided not to put a sentiment on the outside as I didn't want to take away from the flower.Speaking of the flower, I'm pretty excited about how it turned out. The papers are all from My Mind's Eye. I don't remember the name of the collection as all the borders are cut off and this was in my scrap stash. I cut the layers using my Silhouette. The edges were inked with color to match. Then I folded and crumpled them until I got the look I wanted. I even took my sanding block to some of the edges . After gluing them all together with Glue Dots, I found a rhinestone for the center and Viola! There you have it. :-)

12 comments:

Beth Hallgren said...

Beautiful flower! Love the tone on tone border punching, so pretty :)

DanaMK said...

I love it!!! So pretty! What punch is the zig-zag one with the dots? I think I need that one!!! ;)

Debbi Tehrani said...

Beautiful! Love what you've done with the border punches, and that flower is awesome!

Heather M said...

That is very different with the borders. I Love the flower. Very pretty.

okanogangirl said...

GORGEOUS card! I love the monocrhomatic to unify the different punches. Beautiful!

KellyF said...

Love that technique with the border punches, such a subtle, but huge statement it makes!! And of course, the flower is gorgeous!

Susan said...

This is just so beautiful!!! I just pinned it. You are so talented.

mustangkayla said...

What a pretty pretty card! Wow...love the layered inked scalloped edges and that flower! So very pretty!

Holly Gagnon said...

What a great idea with the border layers! Love it! Thanks so much for linking at TPV-Holly

Rita Barakat said...

I adore this idea!!! What fun!

Caroli said...

This is so clever!! I will definitively use your idea of the punch borders, loved how the different shapes look toghether in the same color ;)
Thank you for playing along with us at this challenge at The Paper Variety :)

TenSGal said...

I saw this on Pinterest so came looking for the original post. I love this card...very nice!...and enjoyed reading some of your blog posts! and now I'm a new follower! I'll check back in soon!

Susan
www.expressionavenue.blogspot.com

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS